Six Tips For Celebrating the Fourth of July Outdoors
The Fourth of July represents the best of summer in the good ‘ol USA – independence, sunshine, warmth, barbeques, picnics, family, and fireworks.
Here are six tips for a healthy, happy Fourth of July celebration.
1. Stay Hydrated: long periods of time spent outside in the July heat require a steady intake of water. Be sure to pre-pour water into reusable bottles or pack a large cooler with ice and plenty of water bottles. If you’re going to be outside a lot, drink water throughout the day at a rate of at least 4 cups per hour.
2. Wear Sunscreen: Being outside is a great way to absorb Vitamin D; however, too much of a good thing can cause sun damage. The strongest rays of the day are between 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Be sure to protect skin from intense rays by applying and reapplying sunscreen throughout the day.
3. Use a Clean Grill: A dirty grill can contain germs and bacteria. Be sure to clean thoroughly between uses. Popular Mechanics suggests a deep grill clean prior to the summer season. However, if time is limited, Taylor Martin offers a quick solution using a ball of foil:
- Turn the grill on and place a sheet of aluminum foil directly over the grates.
- Close the grill lid.
- Let the grill run for a few minutes until the grates get hot and the residue loosens up.
- Remove the foil sheets, then scrub the grates with a crumpled ball of foil.
4. Enjoy the Flavors of Summer: Stop by a roadside stand or farmer’s market to pick up local produce. Many areas have berries, corn, watermelon, greens, tomatoes, cantaloupe, honeydew, and much more readily available.
5. Keep Blood Sugar Steady: Eat throughout the day to keep your energy, blood sugar, and mood steady.
6. Have Fun: Engage with the people and the environment as safely as you can. Celebrate family traditions and create some new ones: try to fly a kite, play croquette, catch fireflies, toast s’mores, and enjoy the fireworks.
Seasonal food, family, outdoor fun, and fireworks all packed in one day make Independence Day the essence of all things summer in the United States. Make this one extra memorable, healthy, and fun.
Popular Mechanics/How to Clean a Grill
CNT, How to Clean a Grill Fast
Information presented by W(h)ealth should not be relied upon to determine diet, make a medical diagnosis, or determine treatment for a medical condition. The information is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. Consult a doctor and/or medical professional before making any health changes, especially any changes related to a specific diagnosis or condition.