Build a Healthy Bowl
Easy, versatile, and packed with taste and texture: bowl meals are the perfect answer to, “What’s to eat?” Breakfast, lunch, or dinner can be ready in minutes by simply following a basic 4-step structure using ingredients from the fridge and pantry.
- Choose a Base: Powerful greens like kale, spinach, or lettuce are a good choice, as is cauliflower rice, grains, pasta, or mashed potatoes.
- Pick Your Veggies: All vegetables are great options
- Choose a Protein: Fish, chicken, eggs, beef, pork, canned tuna, lentils, or quinoa are all packed with protein.
- Top it Off: Spices, herbs, avocados, coconut shavings, marinara sauce, salsa, olive oil, vinegar, toasted nuts, or seeds will add flavor, color, and texture.
Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner: 3 Ideas for a Bowl of Nutritious Goodness
- Breakfast: Start with warm rice of choice or sautéed spinach with olive oil, then add hard boiled eggs and leftover roasted veggies. Top with avocado. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lunch: Create a salad bowl using leafy greens, chopped cucumber, tomato, carrots, leftover grilled chicken, a sprinkle of feta cheese, a few olives, and a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Dinner: Fill the bottom of the bowl with cauliflower rice or basmati rice, then layer roasted veggies of choice and grilled shrimp. Finish with fresh herbs, spices, and a drizzle of teriyaki sauce.
Using the 4-Step Structure for Endless Possibilities
The 4-step structure is versatile, providing endless ways to account for favorite foods, preferred spices, diet choices, and activity level. For those trying to keep blood sugar in check, choose more veggies. On the Keto eating plan? Be sure to include ample healthy fats. For those more active than normal or those engaged in intense exercise, add more complex carbohydrates like sweet potatoes.
A little bit of upfront prep work makes building a healthy bowl a snap
- Batch grill, bake, broil, or cook protein(s) of choice. Cool. Separate into single servings and store in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
- Chop vegetables and store in the fridge.
- Wash, dry, and separate greens into re-usable zip lock bags or containers so the base is ready to go.
- Double check the pantry to ensure favorite herbs, spices, nuts, seeds, oils, and assorted toppings are stocked up.
Bowls are perfect for any meal. They are simple in terms of ingredients, and they are a delicious way to eat a variety of nutritious foods morning, noon, or night.
Information presented by W(h)ealth should not be relied upon to determine diet, make a medical diagnosis, or determine treatment for a medical condition. The information is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. Consult a doctor and/or medical professional before making any health changes, especially any changes related to a specific diagnosis or condition.